Intravenous sedation – Patient information
- Patients must have nothing to eat or drink TWO hours before their appointment, make sure that you have a light breakfast if you have an appointment arranged for the morning
- Private transport must be arranged for after the sedation appointment (e.g taxi/private car). Public transport cannot be used, sedation will be refused and any deposit paid will not be refunded.
YOU MUST AVOID ALCOHOLIC DRINKS BEFORE AND AFTER YOUR PROCEDURE.
- Patients should take any routine medication as normal unless advised not to by the treating dentist or anesthetist
- Provide a minimum of 72 HOURS notice to cancel or re-arrange an appointment, otherwise the deposit paid will be lost and another deposit will be required to arrange another appointment
- No nail varnish, acrylic nails, make up or lipstick should be worn on the day of the sedation appointment
- Only ONE escort must accompany the patient to their appointment and escort them home after treatment under conscious sedation. Arrangements must be in place to ensure the patient is supervised for a minimum of the rest of the day. It is essential that the escort gives attention to the patient and therefore should not be responsible for children, elderly and/or dependant relatives.
- Escorts MUST STAY in the clinic for the duration of the sedation appointment
- The escort must not bring any children to the sedation appointment
- Sensible clothing is advised, avoiding tight sleeves, high heeled shoes and short sleeves should be worn
For the next 24 hours patients must not:
- Return to work
- Drive a car or any other vehicle
- Consume any alcohol
- Operate any machinery (including kitchen equipment)
- Climb heights (e.g ladders, scaffolding)
- Be in charge of other people (e.g children/ dependant relatives)
- Patients who are trying to conceive, are pregnant or are breast-feeding must inform their dentist in advance of their appointment
If you have any concerns after you have left the dental surgery, please do not hesitate to contact the dental practice on 0141 336 3549.